Post Top Ad

Wednesday, 8 November 2017

NYX Proof It! Waterproof Eyeshadow Primer vs. Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion



As a gal with hooded eyes, eyeshadow primer is an essential item for my makeup bag. If don't use it, any eyeshadow or eyeliner I use will become a big smooshy mess on my eyelids within a couple of hours.

Ever since I discovered eyeshadow primer about two years back (yes, it took me that long) Urban Decay's Eyeshadow Primer Potion has been my go-to. I adore Urban Decay as a brand, and I KNEW that it would work. I have strayed my it once before to try GOSH cosmetics roll on eye primer, but it was absolutely rubbish and I haven't strayed since.

Or at least I haven't up until now.

Urban Decay is a high end brand and as much as I love it, sometimes I simply can't afford it. Since NYX launched in the UK last year it has slowly but surely become my favourite drugstore brand and now tends to be my brand of choice for most products. That said, I still didn't really think about changing my eyeshadow primer until I watched this video by Zabrena (who is probably my fave makeup Youtuber btw). I mean, the woman is full on underwater in the video and her makeup doesn't budge, so I figured it must be worth a go.

A quick disclaimer before I continue: Both Urban Decay and NYX are cruelty free brands that are owned a non-cruelty free parent company (L'Oreal). Please bear this in mind when deciding whether you want to purchase from these brands, I personally choose to continue supporting them but I know other people who buy cruelty free might not feel the same way.

PACKAGING


For what it's worth, the Urban Decay primer looks more expensive than the NYX primer. Purple is a colour associated with luxury, and the plastic cap shaped like a crystal is a nice touch. The NYX tube, for as much as I am a sucker for monochrome, looks pretty basic. Having said that, the packaging hardly reflects the performance of the product.



CONTENTS

The Urban Decay Primer Potion contains 10ml or 0.33 fl oz of product, and the NYX Proof It! Primer has 7ml or 0.23 fl oz of product. Given that there's an £11 difference between them (UD is £17 and NYX is £6, as per their websites) I don't think the difference in the amount of product is a big deal at all.

APPLICATION

Both primers are colourless upon application and when I've applied my makeup over them (this week I've been using the Naked 2 basics palette by Urban Decay) I haven't noticed any difference in the appearance of the eyeshadow. What I will say is where UD's primer is quite creamy and dries down quite quickly, NYX's tends to feel a little bit greasier and takes slightly longer to dry down.

PERFORMANCE

Honestly, as much as I love the NYX brand I was going into this expecting Proof It! to last maybe no more than six hours, but I was pleasantly surprised. I wore my eye makeup for fourteen hours yesterday and although there was some creasing in the inner part of my eyelid after about seven hours it didn't get any worse and the rest of my makeup remained intact. When I use the UD Primer Potion I often find that my eyeshadow doesn't crease at all, even when I wear it all day.

Overall, Urban Decay do sell the better primer. However, NYX aren't far behind them, and given that my current financial situation isn't great, it's probably a wiser idea for to invest in them for the timebeing as I feel like the results achieved with the NYX primer aren't far off that of Urban Decay's.

Have you tried either of these primers? What did you think?

Stacey Rose xx

Let's connect
17:00 / by / 0 Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Top Ad