Post Top Ad

Thursday, 14 September 2017

I Never Went To Uni



It's that time of year again. There's been a buzz of excitement around young adults since they got their A Level results last month and had their places at University confirmed. Students around the country are busy buying things to ready themselves for moving away from home for the first time, excited to partake in Freshers Week, and blog posts offering advice are popping up all over the blogosphere.

I wish I could be equally as useful at this time, but I don't have any advice to offer, because I never went to Uni.

If I had, it would have been exactly 10 years ago since I started. But as I filled in my UCAS application in the Autumn of 2006, the slow realisation crept in over a number of weeks that it wasn't what I wanted to do. I was doing a Performing Arts course at college, as I'd adored Drama lessons in high school and was also part of a youth theatre group. By the time my second year of college rolled around though, the passion and drive I'd had at the beginning had started to slowly ebb away. I also didn't see the point in getting a degree in Performing Arts unless you wanted to be a teacher, because having a degree in something doesn't necessarily mean that you're talented (no offence to anyone with a Drama degree who is not a teacher).

I'm not opposed to going to Uni. Even now at the age of 28 I'd still consider going, if I knew what I wanted to do. But that's exactly what my problem has been; I've never really known what I want to do.



And I think that's a problem for a lot of people, or at least a lot more people that you think. I think sometimes students blindly go to Uni because that is now what is expected of the younger generation. I know so many people who have come home from Uni after earning their degrees and not actually gotten jobs in the field that they're qualified in. I also know people who've not gone to Uni until they were in their 20s, and took that time between leaving schools and then to discover themselves and find out what it is that they really wanted to do with their lives.

Let's not forget that you also rack up thousands of pounds of student debt whilst you're in Uni, and if you're not going to use your degree afterwards is it worth it?

Saying that, if you know that what you're pursuing is your passion then there's no point in hesitating. You should absolutely go for it. That's if there's a degree to be had in it of course. I mean, my passion is professional wrestling - if you can find a University anywhere in the world that offers any type of professional wrestling course then I will give you a gold star.

I do wish that I'd had the Uni experience in a way, because I think I would have become self sufficient much quicker than I actually did. I don't like that I missed out on living away from home and going out with my friends all the time and generally being independence. But at the end of the day, is it worth getting into all that debt for the sake of a few good nights out?

Any Uni graduates reading this? What do you guys think?

Stacey Rose xx

FOLLOW ME
10:47 / by / 0 Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Top Ad